Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Communication Fail = Death.

It's true! My day has gone through some rough times all because of miscommunications, undercommunications, and complete lack-of-communications.

First of all, I completely forgot that I had signed up to tutor every Wednesday. So I got an email at 11 o'clock last night with a "looking forward to seeing you tomorrow" message inside.
Darn it.
I hunted down this student during school the next day and made other arrangements, which didn't make things easier because I hate to reschedule other people's lives to accomodate my needs.

And then came another horrible miscommunication: I knew I had an eye doctor's appointment today, but people in my family failed to mention
a) it might last, yes, over an hour. Over three hours, in fact.
b) when you are done, you will not be able to see clearly
c) therefore you will be unable to drive
d) or read (therefore tutoring goes out the window)
and finally, I was not informed of the following:
e) the doctor will answer a personal call which will extend our visit by about an hour and
f) actually, yes, you WILL be able to drive and read as COMPLETELY NOTHING will happen to your vision

That was the part I was the most upset about. Nevermind the fact that the doctor walked out of the office at one point for about an hour. Nevermind that he was kind of a jerk with the way he talked about me and my lack of participation in school sports (They need my brain in academics more than they need my height in basketball, you jerk.)
But the fact that my vision was not impaired in any way was the most upsetting. "You wouldn't be able to drive!" dad said. "Even I always have trouble, and I've driven over a million miles in my life." Hey, guess what: you're 50 years old, your eyes don't function the same, and they're a -2.

So I cancelled tutoring because I was told that I "wouldn't be able to see". Nice, right? I felt horrible, because my student has a test tomorrow and I wasn't able to help because I had something else scheduled and was completely misinformed!

Anyways. And then I get home and start getting ready for this "scholarship reception" at my college when I notice the fine print on the scholarship letter.
*lemme get out my magnifying glass* it says "register before March 18th". HOW did I not see that? It's been 10 days since then and I find out 40 minutes before the thing?!

I guess this is another one of God's ways of telling me how important communication is. Listening, paying attention, and making sure the point gets across.

Heh, I'll live.
--E.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment